Newsletter - December 2011
There is no general meeting this month, but there is plenty to do to prepare for the winter ahead of us. Mark your calendars for January 9 at 7:30 at Grace Church Van Vorst.
The Downtown Coalition of Neighborhood Associations Annual Holiday Party
Join the Downtown Coalition of Neighborhood Associations for an evening of holiday cheer with your neighbors! We'll have complimentary drinks and appetizers. Here's your chance to catch up with old friends, and hopefully make new ones too. See you there!
Thursday, December 8, 2011, 6:30 to 9pm
LITM, 140 Newark Avenue, Downtown Jersey City
> RSVP on Facebook if you have an account
Helping Those in NeedWhile we prepare for our holidays with food, friends and family, let's remember all those who are not as fortunate. The good news is that there are several organizations doing the foot work to collect and distribute food, coats and toys.
- Jersey City Partners with Jersey Cares on Winter Coat Drive: Clean, gently used coats in all sizes will be collected from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. at City Hall, 280 Grove Street, now through December 15, 2011.
- Mayor's Action Bureau 15th Annual Toy Drive: New toys will be accepted in the Mayor's Action Bureau, City Hall, 280 Grove Street, every weekday until Friday, 12/9. All toys will be given out to parents on 12/13 who have registered their little ones for a gift.
- Steve Fulop Toy & Coat Drive: Downtown Jersey City Councilman Steven Fulop will be collecting toys and coats that will be given away during the holiday season. Sunday December 4 and December 11, coats and toys can be dropped off at 352 Second St. between noon and 3 p.m.
- Saint Mary's Food Pantry: This site provides a pantry and clothing every Tuesday. Food Needs: bread, rice, baby food, beans, pasta, cakes, turkey, chicken, other non-perishables. Special Needs: funding. Phone: 201-434-8500. Contact: Brother Lou Mauro
- Jersey City Police Department East District Toy Drive: The toys collected are distributed at our annual children's holiday party. This year's children's holiday party is scheduled for Saturday, December 10, 2011 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at M.S. 4. You can drop off your toy at JCPD Headquarters at 8 Erie. If you have any questions, please contact Dina Reilly at 201-547-4370.
East District Police Department AlertCell and i-Phone robberies are on the rise. Avoid using your hand-held devices especially while walking at night. Avoid becoming a victim. Pay attention to your surroundings.
It's that time of year again. Members often ask us for recommendations for snow removers. We want to be ready to give out a names and telephone numbers of those who are ready to help out for free or for a fee. If you know of somebody who wants to be on our referral list, please reply to this email or contact us on our website: http://harsimuscove.org/contact
The freak snow storm in late October downed many trees. There may be trees in the neighborhood that are damaged and need to have a limb removed before it causes damage to person or property. If you know of any such trees, please contact member Eric Fleming with the location of the tree and he'll work with the City to be sure it gets taken care of. Eric can be contacted at email@example.com or 201-844-8418.
There is a community meeting this Monday, December 5 at 6:00 PM in the Council Caucus Room in City Hall (280 Grove) to discuss the entertainment ordinance that the Municipal Council will be considering on Wednesday, December 14. The proposed ordinance separates the entertainment ordinance into two categories, a nightclub category and a restaurant category. Additionally, the new ordinance creates maximum decibel levels for entertainment and adjusts hours when entertainment is permitted. The purpose of this meeting is to brief the community regarding the entertainment ordinance. Members and residents interested in the proposed changes are invited to attend. Please contact Maynard Woodson (201)547-5843 at the Division of Commerce to confirm your attendance.
Are you having trouble with heat in your building?
The City has announced that it can be helpful in getting your landlord to comply with the law. If your landlord is not supplying appropriate heat, the complaint bureau is able to help. Call 201-547-4821 on the weekend or 201-547-4825 on the weekday or 201-547-4821 after 4:00 PM on the weeknight.
> View flier with more information
New Board Member Bios
Sponsors of the Month
Barcade and Three Little Birds are new additions to Harsimus Cove and our newest sponsors for the upcoming 2012 calendar year. Barcade, located at the corner of Barrow and Newark Avenue, is the destination for beer and vintage video game enthusiasts alike. Stop on in, get yourself a rare pint from a New Jersey micro-brewery and try your luck at getting the high score on Galaga.
> Barcade website
Three Little Birds, located on Erie Street between Bay and 1st Streets is an uplifting classroom, a mellow yoga retreat, an inspired creative place, a groovy music studio and an oasis where you and your kids can unplug, get messy, meet friends, reconnect over a song or fly solo for a bit. Weekly classes include yoga, art, music and zumba.
> Three Little Birds website
- December 8 - DCNA Holiday Party. 6:30-9pm at LITM (140 Newark Avenue)
- Mondays & Thursdays until Christmas - Farmers Market. 4-8pm at Grove Street PATH Plaza
- Fridays - Creative Grove Artist Market. 2-8pm at Grove Street PATH Plaza
President, Harsimus Cove Association
Apr 10 2017 - 7:30pm - 9:00pm
May 8 2017 - 7:30pm - 9:00pm
Jun 12 2017 - 7:30pm - 9:00pm